|7:30 PM PT8:30 PM MT9:30 PM CT10:30 PM ET2:30 AM GMT10:30 AM 北京时间7:30 PM MST9:30 PM EST, Sep. 24, 2022|
Sun Devil Stadium, Frank Kush Field, Tempe, Arizona Attendance: 39,876
New-look Arizona State has tough task vs. No. 13 Utah
Utah Utes at Arizona State Sun Devils
- Arizona State has won nine of its last 10 home games against Utah, including an 18-point victory in 2018. Last year's meeting in Salt Lake City saw the Utes overcome a 14-point halftime deficit by scoring 28 unanswered points in the second half.
- Utah held its opponent to under 75 yards passing for the second straight game after giving up just 60 in its win over San Diego State last week. The last Power 5 team to accomplish this in three straight outings was Alabama in 2011.
- Cameron Rising threw a career-high four touchdown passes in the win over San Diego State. He now has eight on the season, which is the most by a Utah QB in the past 25 years through the team's first three games.
- Arizona State decided to part ways with head coach Herm Edwards following last week's loss at home to Eastern Michigan. The Sun Devils went 26-20 during Edwards' tenure, including a 6-7 mark against ranked opponents.
- Arizona State's Xazavian Valladay is the second player in the last 25 years to begin his Pac-12 career with three straight games with 100+ rush yards and at least one rushing touchdown (also Arizona's Nick Wilson in 2014).
- Notre Dame QB Pyne intending to transfer
- No. 4 USC seeks CFP bid, revenge on Utah
- Florida dismisses QB Kitna after arrest
- Ex-Texas coach Herman takes over at FAU
- Texas St. hires UIW's Kinne as new coach
The first game for Arizona State following the firing of Herm Edwards as head coach will take place Saturday when the Sun Devils host No. 13 Utah in the Pac-12 opener for both schools.
Shaun Aguano, Arizona State's running backs coach, was named the interim head coach Sunday after Edwards was terminated with the Sun Devils 1-2 following last week's 30-21 loss at home against Eastern Michigan.
It was the first win by a Mid-American Conference team over a Pac-12 team in a regular-season game.
"Our kids and our coaches have been through a lot in the last 24 hours," Aguano said Monday. "My focus now is the next nine games. How do I inspire these guys to play fast, physical football? That's my No. 1. Making sure I take care of the kids, that's the most important thing for me."
Aguano, a former high school coach in the Phoenix area, added that the Sun Devils had a player-led meeting "that went very well and they're all in."
Edwards went 26-20 at Arizona State after he was hired in 2018.
His eventual permanent replacement will be the Sun Devils' fifth head coach since Kyle Whittingham was hired at Utah in 2005.
Whittingham does not expect significant strategy changes from Arizona State with Aguano taking over.
"Herm put a lot of faith in his coordinators to do their thing and I don't think we'll see a lot of change based on the head coach as far as schematics in one week," Whittingham said. "Now if they had a bye week maybe you'd see more of that, but just going from Saturday to Saturday there isn't a whole lot you can change in that period of time."
Utah (2-1) enters conference play leading the Pac-12 in passing yards allowed per game (90.0), team passing efficiency defense (80.85) and total defense (236.3).
The Utes also are the conference's top rushing team at 216.7 yards a game led by Tavion Thomas' 232 yards on 50 carries with four touchdowns.
LSU transfer Chris Curry had a season-ending foot injury in the 35-7 win over visiting San Diego State on Saturday. Curry had 81 yards on 12 carries with a touchdown this season.
"It is too bad about Chris. He is a great teammate, a great kid," Whittingham said. "The silver lining is he will be back next year. Oddly enough, I guess he had that same injury in high school. We expect a full return to health and 100 percent ready to play football again."
Arizona State's defense allowed Eastern Michigan's Samson Evans to gain a career-high 258 yards on 36 carries with a touchdown.
Utah has shown balance on offense with quarterback Cameron Rising tied for No. 16 in the FBS and second in the Pac-12 in touchdown passes with eight. He ranks fourth in the conference in passing efficiency (164.3) and total offense (261.0) and fifth in completion percentage (.671).
Arizona State quarterback Emory Jones, a transfer from Florida, has yet to throw an interception this season in 74 attempts. He has completed 60.8 percent of his passes for 557 yards and two touchdowns.
Wyoming transfer Xazavian Valladay has rushed for 361 yards on 52 carries with four touchdowns. He has rushed for at least 100 yards in his first three games with the Sun Devils.
--Field Level Media
Updated September 20, 2022