|Major League Soccer|
|Home|||||Scoreboard|||||Match Schedule|||||Standings|||||Clubs|||||Transfers|||||Player Leaders|
Matarrita, Tajouri-Shradi help NYCFC beat Union 2-1
European Football Headlines
- Chelsea-Sheffield United Preview
- West Ham United-Norwich City Preview
- Burnley-Liverpool Preview
- Crystal Palace-Aston Villa Preview
- Manchester City-Brighton & Hove Albion Preview
- Newcastle United-Watford Preview
- Manchester United-Aston Villa Preview
- Southampton-Everton Preview
- Tottenham Hotspur-Bournemouth Preview
- Liverpool-Brighton & Hove Albion Preview
CHESTER, Pa. (AP) Ronald Matarrita and Ismael Tajouri-Shradi scored and New York City FC beat the Philadelphia Union 2-1 on Sunday in the regular-season finale.
New York City (18-6-10), the top seed in the Eastern Conference playoffs, earned a first-round bye and will play No. 4 seed Toronto or fifth-seeded D.C. United in the conference semifinals.
Philadelphia (16-11-7) lost three of its last four regular-season games, falling from first to third in the Eastern standings. The Union will host the sixth-seeded New York Red Bulls in the knockout round.
Matarrita opened the scoring in the sixth minute. Valentin Castellanos, at the top of the area, first-timed a pass from Ben Sweat to Matarrita for the finish from near the spot. It was the first goal of the season for the 25-year-old defender.
Ismael Tajouri-Shradi chipped an entry from outside the area that deflected off the Union's Jamiro Monteiro into the goal to make it 2-0 in the 22nd and Philadelphia's Marco Fabian converted from the spot in the 87th minute.
Updated October 6, 2019